Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fruits of our labor

Last night after putting the kid to bed, I was sitting at the dining room table wasting time on the internet, drinking wine, and feeling smug about not having anything left to do.  Then I remembered that I had a flat of strawberries still sitting in my refrigerator from our pickin' adventure--and this was after I had frozen a few bags and baked a batch of strawberry muffins.  The realization that another night was probably going to be the kiss of death for our very fresh strawberry friends kicked me into reluctant gear.  In case you're wondering, 9PM on a Monday is not the conventionally recommended time to start canning, but there you have it.

A few sweaty hours later, I had one lone jar left to take out of the canner.  Come November when the Boston temps have us homebound and all of the fresh fruit has to be shipped in from warmer climes, we'll be so happy to have our jewel-toned jars lined up tidily in the pantry.  Here's to a couple more months of good canning.




No comments:

Post a Comment