Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summer and childhood

I didn't have the most conventional upbringing.  Now that I'm a mom, I find myself seeking out the conventional, the "standard," the storybook American life.  I'm not really even sure what that is.  But I do know that in the summer, you spend a lot of time in the water.  We've done our share of shore-visiting and pool-swimming, and in the great tradition of Boston area parks, we've taken full advantage of the water features that seem to be ubiquitous near playgrounds in this town. For the first time in my adult life, I own a beach bag that stays in our car, complete with beach towels, an umbrella, and a variety of beach toys. A far cry from the midwest.

When I look back on this summer, I think one of the biggest things that will stick out in my mind will be the the light reflecting on baby blue water, the traces of sunscreen on my toddler's deliciously chubby, dimpled elbows, and the particular type of hunger and fatigue that comes from a day playing in the water.  Water baby indeed.








2 comments:

  1. I don't think there's anything better than a sleepy baby that smells like sunscreen and good fun that's been had. I think that when my baby is 30 I'll be nostalgic for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meryl. My sleepy baby is 2 and I can't believe how fast it's gone...I'll cherish the memories of this sunny, sunscreeny days.

      Delete