Thursday, May 31, 2012

Touristing

My general inclination is to want to get settled as soon as possible. The movers came, and I had everything unpacked within 48 hours.  Certainly, there are some boxes in the attic that won't ever get unpacked (college love letters, etc) but for the most part I like to have us firmly ensconced in our new homes ASAP.

Recently, however, I got some advice. Kristin wisely advised me to live like a tourist for at least part of my time here in Boston: check out the Public Garden, ride the swan boats.  And why not? I'm not fooling anyone by pretending to be settled here. I may as well soak up all of the things that I want to see and do in this new place which is not yet my home.

In that spirit, today we went to the zoo. Not because it's high on my list of tourist destinations, but because it is very, very, high on my kid's.  We went with a million of Boston's school children, and we witnessed zebras, a baby gorilla, and some hard-core sounding (to me) Boston accents.  You know what? It was great.










2 comments:

  1. Hi (again)! After reading your blog I thought I should mention that I'm part of a mom group you might be interested in joining: Hip Mamas Boston. It's been a fun way for me and my little one to meet other new moms and kids her age and, really, to just get out of the house. And just like you, the organizer is a new transplant from the Mid-West — St. Louis, Missouri to be exact. We're new-ish to the area too so it's been a great way for me and my husband to get out there and find some friends. Anyway, if you're interested check out: http://www.meetup.com/Hip-Mamas-Boston/
    And welcome again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverly! This is a bit presumptuous, but since I've been reading your blog...do you know anything about a similar Meetup group called Asian American families of greater Boston?
      I really appreciate your reaching out. It's nice to know that there are friendly folks here!

      Delete